For years, scientists have predicted something like this would happen and it's both funny and disparaging when you realise on retrospect the existential implications of living in a city that is largely below sea level but virtually surrounded by water. But when you think about the sort of advanced warning the Americans had, vis-a-vis the Tsunami tragedy, it's a tad disappointing and a major concern that things have turned out the way it has.
What is perhaps more stunning is news of looting, murder and anarchy, which I suppose seems inevitable in such circumstances when people live to survive. You would think, however, that the US authorities, by encouraging local citizens to move to the Superdome, would do more to prevent/have thought about and done more to prevent the sort of starvation, rape, gang/mob rule, and racial abuse we are seeing now.
I'm not sure how morbid/callous I sound when I say that the Americans in New Orleans have responded considerably worse on every level (individual, organisational, governmental) than those in some third world countries that have faced larger hurricanes and typhoons. Katrina has pounded the thin gauze of social cohesion and the heart of American solidarity and pride in a way that no terrorist attack can, and the US Government's response to this emergency is simply unbelievable. But with most of American resources stockpiled in the Gulf, one can't be too surprised at how poorly a rescue effort will come out of this.
I wonder what the Americans think of Bush and the Cheney administration in light of New Orleans. Are they still blind to the US Government's astonishing failure in Iraq and its (lack of any) organisational ability, hoping for some sort of a miracle or decisive action from Bush or his administration, or are they as I suspect seeing Dubya as what a doofus he really is?
The real lesson to come from Katrina, and perhaps this should teach Bush about some humility when he next decides to diss and abuse Kyoto, the environment and global warming again in light of economic self-interest and wilful ignorance, is that the dramatic flooding of New Orleans is but one graphic demonstration of global climate change models, is a precursor to what can be expected in the future, and should be a catalyst for real policy change. Which brings to mind the movie The Day After Tomorrow.
But perhaps now is the time for Chirac (and Shroder) to offer some fine French (and dare I say German) food to the starving of New Orleans and win an enormous debt of the American common man's gratitude.

New Orleans.
No comments:
Post a Comment