Saturday, September 10

A new beginning

I moved into my new seat in the banking department on Monday. So it's back to square one again, the usual pleasanties with the banking folks, my new room mate, my new secretary, and my new appraisal partner; learning the finance speak; and getting to grips with the finance documents.

The best bit about the move, however, was how chilled out the week ended up being. Although I got hooked on the second day with the re-financing bit of a deal that I was working on in Corporate, it hasn't been too bad and I was able to leave the office before 8 almost every evening for dinner/drinks with mates.

Jewel (http://www.jewel-bar.co.uk/)

... is quite chi chi and luxurious for the swamp-land that is Piccadilly Circus. It is fairly pricey, but fancy enough to wow you for a bit. The Jewel bar is based on Baz Lurhman’s Moulin Rouge with Bordeaux coloured furnishings and striking chandeliers and I liked the pseudo-kitschness of the glass chandeliers and uplights, but wasn't very impressed with the weatherspoonish box-like seats. Certainly far more spacious and therefore not as claustrophobic as its sister branch at Covent Garden.

Lindsay House (www.lindsayhouse.co.uk)

... was where we had our closing dinner for the deal that completed last Tuesday. Lindsay House is owned by Irish-born chef Richard Corrigan who specialises in earthy, modern Irish cooking. The Lindsay House seats only 48 on two floors in a Regency style Georgian house that has been redecorated to reflect the original classic features of the building. As in an old-fashioned speakeasy, you ring the doorbell for admittance to a Regency town house deep in Soho. Unfolding before you are gilded mirrors, original fireplaces, and bare wooden floorboards. The staircase delivers you to one of two floors. There being 9 of us - a partner, four associates, three trainees and a paralegal - we had a private dining room booked.

We had decided on the tasting menu:

Magnum Paul Roger Extra Cuvée de Reserve NV

Ravioli of Chorizo & Feta, White Onion Soup & Shallot Rings
Risotto of Peas with Broad Beans & Cornish Crab
Grilled Tuna with Pea, Black Olive & Sardine Fritters
New Season Elqy Valley Lamb & Marjoram scented Broth
Goat's Cheese Sorbet with Black Cherries & Banyuls
Sablé of English Raspberries with Lavender Ice Cream

Chablis Grand Cru "Vaudésirs", Domaine Durup 2001
Magnum Cháteau Bel Air Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé 1983
Barsac "Cypres de Climens", Cháteau Climens 2000

I found the champagne very new, crisp, refreshing and it wasn't too bubbly, old, or fanciful. The 1983 Classé was lovely; it came with a beautiful rustic scent, was very rich yet vigorous and full-bodied. The Chablis was one of the best I've had; it was buttery crisp, dry enough, very fresh, with massive flavour but an elegant and tight finish. I'm not a big fan of dessert wine, however, and didn't fancy the sweet Barsac too much.

The food was good. It was exquisite enough yet not too rich. There was definitely some French influence but not stuffingly so. Still, I left thinking that whilst Lindsay House was a refreshing antidote to big, brash eateries with unknown chefs, I didn't get the wow! factor that I had with for example Nobu (http://www.nobumatsuhisa.com/flash/index.html) and Philippe Legendre's Le Cinq (http://www.fourseasons.com/paris/vacations/dining_77.html) at the George V, which incidentally is still the top restaurant on my list.

The exceptionally friendly service at Lindsay House was eager if a little amateurish. There was a very charming maitre'd but the waitors/waitresses seemed rushed and our private dining room was often left unattended.

No comments: